Friday, December 3, 2010

Confusing

So I know I started this as an IF blog but it seems like all I talk about lately is my thyroid. Anybody else notice that? hehe

So I've been researching Hashimoto's and what I've found is it never goes away. So surgery doesn't cure it. But it seems like if you had your thyroid removed, which would make you dependent on the thyroid meds, than it would be less likely for your hormone levels to go out of control. Doesn't that seem logical? And I'll already have to take the meds the rest of my life anyways, why keep a gland that's out of control and can go haywire at any given minute? Then there's the issue of the nodules. My 3 add up to over 3 cm. That doesn't sound like much but the gland is normally only 5 cm big. So basically over half of my gland is enlarged. I have this constant stupid tickle in my throat that wakes me up every night. And if I eat too fast or swallow liquids too fast it feels like it gets caught for aminute in my throat. I feel like an idiot whining on here cause I know there are far worse things to have.... but I'm just trying to work through whether I should pursue thryoid surgery.

Secondly financially it would be good to do this year. Tick tock, right.... I'm already on 100% until Feb 1 I think. So if I just take the wait and see approach and give it say 6 months for the nodules to shrink, and they don't I'll be onthe line for another deductible next year. And we're planning on adding my hubby to my policy which would my deductible go up to $6000!!! Arrgghhh!!! I don't know if I'll be able to swing that!!!

I also found some studies that the odds are higher that you end up with thyroid cancer if you have Hashimotos than if you don't. Like 30-50% higher. The problem is the cancer can hide behind the nodules and won't be detected until you have the gland removed.

And finally I guess I would like to just lose the thyroid, get on the meds and focus 100% on the IF battle.... I don't feel like I have a whole lot of time to keep jacking with this. We're not getting more fertile every day around here.... :-)

Someone did leave me an excellent comment that after she was diagnosed with Hashimotos, and got the meds situated she was able to conceive.... That's the best news I've heard in forever!!!!! So obviously surgery might not be required.... I'm just trying to decide if its something I should push for.

What do you think? What would you do?

3 comments:

  1. I think if I were you, I'd go for the surgery right away. IF is expensive enough without having to pay a full deductible for the surgery, and it seems to me like there are too many downsides to keeping the thyroid and no real upsides.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would ask many questions before jumping into anything. Consult a second physician if you must, but don't jump to surgery unless that is the only option available!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like the benefits of removing the thyroid outweigh the benefits of leaving it in. I am not familiar with Hashimoto's- I have just hypothroidism. I was diagnosed a little after a year of TTC. Once on the meds I felt like a whole new person-. Still struggling to get pregnant- but, it was stressful when my thyroid levels were off (it took at least 6 months to get the correct dose of med) It is hard to focus on thyroid issues and IF at the same time, as they effect eachother. So if the surgery would help control this- I will think it would be good to have it done.

    ReplyDelete