Monday, May 16, 2011

Be forewarned - this is a sad post....

Thanks for all the well wishes!!! You don't know how much they meant to me!!!! I'm not going to lie.... having to put poor Bug down was definitely one of the hardest things I ever had to do... This is going to be sad so I'll understand if you want to skip this one....

I took her up there with the intention of just dropping her off... I know that's a cowardly thing to do, but I have been dreading this day for YEARS.... So I walk in and start crying right away... I can't even tell them what I'm there for. I had made the appt already so the receptionist asks "Ladybug?"... I nodded... I had to wait until the room was prepared... I managed to choke out to the receptionist that I did not want to watch this!!!! She said I didn't have to. But I did have to go back to the room and sign some forms.

We got to the room and the tech comes in... We go over the options, I make my choice and tell him I do not want to see this... but he asks if I can stay while they put the IV in... so she doesn't panic... That broke my heart. I knew then that I'd have to stay for the whole thing.... Its the least she deserves from my after being so faithful and loving to me for all these years. So I helped hold her down while they started the IV, crying the whole time... When she cried out from starting the IV I really bawled. Finally they put the 1st shot in and within 30 seconds she was snoring. At that moment I could tell she was at peace, and not laboring to breathe, I knew I had done the right thing, that it was her time to go. She shouldn't have had to suffer anymore because I'm too chicken to go through with this. So finally she was gone and they left me alone with her for me to say my goodbyes.



I'm sorry if that was too graphic for all you with furbabies... I know that even before this I could never read a story about a dog being put down... But I had to get it out for my peace of mind.

Let me tell you I was a mess the rest of the day. I kept breaking down even tho I know it was the right thing to do. I was so drained by that night, I had 2 glasses of wine and passed out for 12 hours. When I woke up Sunday, I felt a little better, and at peace knowing she's not suffering anymore. So each day is getting a little better. Its just kinda surreal... after having her in my life every day for all those years... and now she's gone... I'll always be thankful for having Bug in my life and for being able to have her for so long. And I guess that's the best note I can end this post on....

Thanks again for all your sympathy!!

5 comments:

  1. I am crying as I type this. I can't imagine what it was like. I pray that this only gets easier with time. I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry. We had to do the same thing a few years back and it was awful! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I am a recent follower to your blog, but just wanted to say how sorry I am and offer my condolences for your loss. This brought tears to my eyes. I have two furbabies and I can't begin to imagine how hard it would be to put them down. They are my children, and our pets really do become members of the family, especially after being with us for so long. Thinking of you during this time, and wishing you peace and comfort...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry that you had to go through this. Your love for Lady Bug is so evident. I'll be thinking of you and hoping that you find peace.

    ReplyDelete
  5. my thoughts are with you, I am so sorry for your loss. I am glad that ladybug is in peace now.

    ReplyDelete