Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Dreaded Thyroid Biopsy

So yesterday I was the Human Pin Cushion! Not a good day at all.... I scheduled a 3 hour glucose test for the morning. My blood sugar has been coming back a little elevated at 103 which technically isn't even pre-diabetes yet, but I am ALWAYS thirsty. So Dr Z said I could do a glucose test just to be sure. I have deep veins that roll and the chic doing the blood draws apparently isnt very good with that type of vein. She ended up getting all 4 draws out of my hands after digging in my arms. My hands were so bruised when I left I couldn't even put my hands in my pockets afterwards! Ugh!!

Then onto the thyroid biopsy. Let me tell you, if a doc ever suggests a biopsy of anything... I don't care if its my big toe... I'm going to want to be knocked out! It was brutal!!!! And I have a pretty high tolerance. I never had pain with any of the IF tests.... This was a different ballgame. They give you a shot of Lidocaine to start which feelsl like a wasp stinging you on your neck. Then the u/s tech locates the nodule and Dr Z uses the u/s image to guide the needle into the nodule directly. When the needle goes in there's immense pressure like someone is squeezing your neck and its scary to breathe and THEN she has to pump the plunger 3 times to aspirate the fluid. ARRRGGHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now let me back up to when the MA prepped the room I noticed she put out 16 glass slides. I'm thinking I hope they can fill up more than 1 slide with each puncture.... Not the case. She had to aspirate each nodule 8 times!!!! So including the Lydocaine injections I got stabbed in the thyroid 19 times!!!!! I told you it was BRUTAL!

Finally its over and they give me a scrip for Darvocet. Thank God! And instruct me to go home and keep ice on it until bedtime to reduce bruising. I'm glad I took the whole day off and hadn't planned on going back to work. Fortunately DH a/k/a 5150 had driven me because by the timme I got to the waiting room I don't think I would have been able to drive. I guess your body releases endorphins or adrenaline or something from the pain so by the time I got of there I was dizzy and trembling and freezing cold. I came straight home and got on the couch while 5150 got my scrips and took care of me the rest of the day. :-)

I kept the ice on it for about 6-8 hours so when I woke up the bruising was minimal. There's one light bruise on the side kind of the size of a thumbprint and a few small red splotches but at least its not so bad I can't get out of the house without looking like a freak.

On a positive note I'm very confident that Dr Z is an excellent doc and if there's anything wrong she'll be able to handle it. She's got awards and certificates on the walls of her office from floor to ceiling. I won't get the results until Nov 30 tho!! Can you believe that???? 2 1/2 weeks to wait to find out if its cancer?!?! That's just cruel to me!!! But the lab takes 10 business days.

I had 2 good things happen this week tho. I found out this week that when my company moves offices in Dec I'm going to have my own office!!! For the first time ever!!!! I can't believe it I'm so excited!!!!

And for the first time in forever I GOT A POSITIVE OPK!!!!! I realize that's only 1/2 the battle but maybe my body is finally going to start acting right. And just in the nick of time. I was really feeling discouraged this cycle. I have to rely on CM and temps to figure out my ovulatioon and my temps are usually all over the board. So half the time I'm not even confident that we're BD'ing at the right time. Boy would that be a huge relief to me if I could just be able to rely on OPK's and feel fairly confident that I know when I'm ovulating. Whew!!! Maybe there's hope for this TTC journey yet.....

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad your biopsy is over! That is a plus. Even better a + on an OPK! WOO HOO! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Omg that sounds so awful to go through. You are so brave. I can't imagine waiting so long to get the results, but I guess it's like a 2ww. I hope you get good news! Yea on the positive opk, good luck!

    ReplyDelete