Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Dr. Z

So I saw the endocrinologist Dr Z today because my calcium levels were elevated at my last physical. At my first appt she said my thyroid is a little enlarged, we should do an ultrasound of the thyroid and parathyroid. Today at the ultrasound I knew it was going to be bad when the tech says "Dr Z you have to come look at this...." Holy crap! I have nodules on my thyroid over 1 cm. That doesn't sound too big but according to her 20% of the population has nodules smaller than 1cm and only 4% have nodules bigger than that. Of those people 10% have thyroid cancer.

So I have to go back Friday so she can do a needle biopsy of the nodules. Yes, she's going TO STAB ME IN THE THROAT WITH A NEEDLE!!! AARRGGHH!!! And with nothing other than Lidocaine. I'm soooo going to need something for my nerves. I guess this is what I get for trying to be proactive in my health for the first time in my life... a freaking needle in my neck!!!!

Now I can hear the Morbid Thoughts Monster knocking at the door, but we're not going to let him in right now. I will freak the #*@# out if I let him in and he makes himself at home. So we'll just turn off the porch light and pretend like we're not home. Go away Morbid Thoughts Monster, go away!

On a good note, Plain Jane is going through with the pregnancy. And I had a talk with mother aka Lt. Dan and told her when I'm having a good day, I'll ask for a progress update. Otherwise, we're not going to talk about it. Understood? She said ok... we'll see if she sticks to it.

So hopefully the biopsy goes well and I'll only have good things to report. Until then let's keep our fingers crossed. :-)

4 comments:

  1. Wishing you luck on Friday. I'm you told your mother not to tell you these things unless you ask. It will help your mental state so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on Friday.... it does not sound like much fun, but hopefully all goes smoothly. Treat yourself to soemthing fun after :) Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also wishing you luck! I hope all goes well tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eek. That sounds scary. Wising you lots of luck and for good results!

    ReplyDelete